Friday 31 January 2014

Inspired by Pam for Paperartsy - my very first scrapbook page!

I always said I wouldn't scrap book...but then this week Pam Thorburn has been Guest Designer at Paperartsy and showed us some fabulous mixed media scrap book pages.... and the challenge was set!

As lots of you know (especially if you are kind enough to look at my "other" blog, photosbyh, I LOVE Kew Gardens. So it was obvious what I would choose as my source...

 so I gathered some supplies, the paper is from one of Tim Holtz's paper stacks (I forget which), my photos, which I matted onto black card, some die cut leaves (thanks Sam!) and some Prima flowers and leaves.
 I brayered some Fresco's over my paper... scary moment! - I used a few... can't quite remember which..Guacamole, Limelight Honey Dew , Tango Yellow Sunshine I think.
some grunge paste stencilling and paint stencilling. I stamped some leaves in archival ink round the edges (seem to have forgotten the photo for this stage) but it was very in your face, so I knocked it back with some watered down Fresco - Guacamole and Honey Dew) with a babywipe


Decided on the layout, and then time to start fixing things down - another scary moment!

Added the text by Darcy for Paperartsy.. not quite placed right, as part of it hasn't come out properly as I caught the grunge paste...
I love this photo - it's one of the galleries in the gardens, and I was so lucky to be there on a sunny autumn day in 2012 and caught the reflection of the trees in the glass - perfect timing!  I've checked every time I've been again since, and it just won't happen again for me!

Added some metal and resin flowers to the centres - the resin is painted with Honey Dew and then has Ruby and Renaissance TG brushed over.

Well, I think it's ok for a first effort - I may well do some more, this is the start of a whole new venture for me...!! Thanks Pam and Paperartsy for pushing me outside my comfort zone and getting me started!

28 comments:

Hazel Agnew said...

Helen, it's fabulous. You can tell that you love the place and you did it justice. Always scary moments but well worth it. Fab. X

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I cannot remember the last time I did a scrapbook page, yours is lovely, I love the backdrop and the flowers and matting the pictures onto black makes them pop. Tracy x

craftimamma said...

I don't know about ok for a first scrap page, I think it's brilliant Helen. The colours are perfect and compliment your lovely photo beautifully. Lovely balance of all your embellishments too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

craftimamma said...

I don't know about ok for a first scrap page, I think it's brilliant Helen. The colours are perfect and compliment your lovely photo beautifully. Lovely balance of all your embellishments too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Lori said...

What do you mean ok? This is FABULOUS! What a way to showcase your beautiful pictures! Great job!

Deborah Wainwright said...

Oh wow Helen what a great page you have built some fantastic layers and the colours work so well together. Great choice of photos too. Very well done xx

Lin said...

What a great page Helen! it all looks so good together, the paper and the colours you've chosen to go with your gorgeous piccies! Wonderful first scrapbook page xx

Virginia said...

That is fabulous, I love my scrapbooking and know that some of my favourite pages are from gelli print pages I created last year when I did the Summer of Colour challenge!

Hope you have a fab weekend!

Words and Pictures said...

It's so lovely, Helen - the perfect setting for those fab photos of Kew. I love the brayering, creating such a great depth in the background, and brilliant use of the leafy die-cuts (you already know I love those!!). I predict more scrapbook pages in your future!
Alison x

Craftyfield said...

Beautiful painterly background! One word of caution... scrapbooking is addictive, one layout could be enough to get you hooked!

massofhair said...

Your photographs make this page Helen, looks amazing :-) xxx

Linda Jones said...

It's gorgeous Helen, so unusual. I am passionate about scrapbooking, but, always put mine in albums for my daughter. This should be in a frame & hung on a wall!

PaperArtsy said...

Woohoo. See you had all the skills required to be a scrapper! Ru-oh! I have done maybe 6 pages but I do enjoy it. Partic if they are off the page style. ou could easy start a kew album

Julie Lee said...

Helen, this is fabulous! I love your photography and what a great shot of the reflected trees! I'd always thought scrap-booking was not for me too, but this week on PA we've seen a whole new dimension, it is a great way to present photos! I love how you use the TH die, which I am drooling over and have to have! Your LO and colour combos are great too! Julie Ann xx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is so fab Helen. Your photos are always so beautiful and its lovely you've taken up the inspiration to scrapbook for the first time, it tempted me too. Always love seeing Kew, John is teaching there this week. You and I cld meet at the maids of honour tea rooms one day?

Lucy x

jojo79 said...

Great page Helen, a new hobby to add to your list.

Jo
x

sam21ski said...

Fabulous page, I love it when the photo remains the focal image and you've certainly achieved that, my eye went straight to them and then I took time to look at the rest of the embellishments - great job

Sam xxx

Jacqui Chimes said...

It's gorgeous

Gillian .... said...

I knew you would come up trumps Helen, such a beautiful layout incorporating your fab Kew photo's. Love it. x

Darcy Marshall said...

Great page Helen, really well done. I see this becoming a whole new thing for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You created a beautiful page. Gorgeous colours that work beautifully with the photos & the stamping & texture is great.

craftytrog said...

This is wonderful! I love your photos Helen! x

craftytrog said...

This is wonderful! I love your photos Helen! x

Etsuko said...

This is gorgeous! I love photos and colours.

Julia Dunnit said...

Great stuff Helen! really nice combo of the things you love. Pam T is the BEst scrapbooker by a country mile for me, her colour sense is extraordinary.

Unknown said...

This is fabulous Helen-scrapbooking is such fun-A great first page-I do hope it won't be your last!!!

Carmen said...

Oh Helen! What gorgeous colours for those photos! Craig wants me to start scrapbooking again and seeing gorgeous examples like this - I may just listen to him!

Kathi said...

Wow! If that's your first scrapbooking page, I sure hope you continue as it's fantastic!

Your great photos are definitely showcased by the layout!