Sunday 16 February 2014

Darcy's Monthly Journal Challenge

In January Darcy started a journal challenge at Paperartsy, using some of her just now released new stamps. She was using a fabulous square paged journal which I loved. So, when I was at Stamperama this time last week, I managed to get hold of one.

This is the result of the first page. Not completely satisfactorily, but I'm happier with it today than I was yesterday... I followed Darcy's instructions (for the most part) in her post here  though I did leave some parts out.  The stencilling under the page I abandoned as I couldn't get any more paint off, so used one of Jo Firth-Young's new stencils on top.  Paint colours are the new Limited Edition Frescos.
 GP mixed with Amethyst and Dusty Teal (love love love!)
 like it at this stage...Lake Wanaka and a Snowflake layer
 hmmm perhaps made a bad choice next... Limelight and Sage, my final neutral layers were Irish Cream and Nougat.
 started rubbing back - hard hard work, by artificial light it didn't like as if much of the paint was coming off... but coming back to it this morning, it was better but I was still very unsure...
 but I went in with stencils anyway - this is one of JoFY's and I used Seaweed and Toffee to highlight the edges. Love this stencil
 I knew I wanted to use this little JoFY mini, on my border but rather than as Darcy had, I just stamped and painted it on the journal not on card too. I used Amethyst and Dusty Teal again, and Chartreuse mixed with a little Chalk to make it more opaque.
 happy now!

final step was some words - one of Lin B's new ones, stamped on card and cut out to paste across the spread.
I know I didn't follow all of Darcy's steps (like the underpage stencilling, or the silhouette image, but this was a great, fun challenge to take part in. Looking forward to next month - well later this month actually - and the journal is fabulous, strong strong paper - all those layers and no holes created even when I scrubbed and scrubbed!
Off to link it to Darcy's journal challenge here now!

20 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

You certainly have to keep faith with the instructions don't you...? I would have been incredibly unsure as soon as the mini frescoes were covered in paint! love the teal colour by the way. Yep, if you've got the staying power, it all makes for a great page.

Hazel Agnew said...

Turned out really good in the end. Love the choice of stamps and colours look fab. Xx

Deborah Wainwright said...

This really fantastic Helen. Beautiful colour combo and great use of stamps/stencils. Love it! Xxx

sam21ski said...

Great pages Helen xx

craftimamma said...

Helen, what a gorgeous start to your lovely new journal. Beautiful stamps and colours and I can't wait to get those stencils. Beautiful pages!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Miriam said...

Gorgeous pages. It was worth persevering

massofhair said...

Fabulous work Helen, stencilling looks great, love the border stamp:-)

jojo79 said...

Great pages Helen, glad you kept working on it.

Jo

x

Jacqui Chimes said...

Love this Helen

Darcy Marshall said...

Well done Helen, photos look even better now I see them on laptop and not tiny phone lol I am so pleased you took your time, it really shows. What is the stamp with the tiny star in it?, looks great. You did a fab job with the shading in the stencils too.

Krisha said...

Great picture tutorial. The final pages are fantastic.

Artyjen said...

Gorgeous ;)
Xoxo sioux

Lin said...

great pages Helen...great to see how it all coming together.good colour choices too and your new stamps look really good!!!

Sandy said...

So wonderful! You have me rather inspired and I am going to have to study some more of this wonderful work!
sandy

Unknown said...

Ooooh very nice I especially like your boarder, very pretty x

Robin said...

It was great seeing the process of how you created this beautiful spread! I would never had imagined the outcome from looking at the first couple steps. It turned out so good...you will be creating more, right?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What amazing staying power you had on this one. The end result is incredible. What pride you can take in this spread.

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely love your square texture panels, Helen - and you're even convincing me on the Amethyst - it looks stunning swirled in with the teal in that first stage photo. Fabulous pages at the end, with all those layers giving such depth and texture. Beautiful!
Alison x

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous spread, I love the GP across the centre & your choice of images is fab.

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous colours. Love the texture you have on your squares. Mine got a bit oversanded LOL. The colours of the stamps and the flower border are fab. Great pages