Saturday 13 July 2013

Craft Barn Alpha Challenge - Y (with a twist of yellow!)

The latest letter for the Craft Barn Alpha dictionary challenge is Y. But you have to incorporate yellow into your offering.

Not making excuses, but my dictionary is seriously lacking in Y words (when you consider I painted over some when I did my W word...)  This is what I had for Y and Z

Luckily I have another dictionary I can "borrow" some pages from.  I decided to do 'yacht' but also liked the idea of 'yarn' - so thought, in for a penny - why not use both!

I started by painting the page (yes, over my remaining y and z's!!) in Ice Blue Paperartsy Fresco paint, then stamped some fluffy clouds in Snowflake Fresco paint (stamp is a Texture Mat by Caroline's that I have had like for ever!) across the sky.


I used a Stampscapes stamp (it's called Shimmers) and cobalt archival ink, for the waves and the flying duck formation (also Stampscapes)

I originally intended that the yacht could be sailing on a sea of yarn, (well in my defence, it is very hot today!) and positioned the yacht (stamp by Hobby Art) accordingly.

After it was well stuck down (I tried!) I realised the yarn looks like the sandy beach... oh well, let's pretend that is what I meant all along...

The fibres are from a pack of mixed fibres I got years ago from The Craft Barn itself, plus some mohair that I was meant to be knitting into a jumper.. like that's ever going to happen now!  I stuck them to a strip of microporous tape before sticking that to the dictionary page.   The 'Y' letter is by Dylusions, from her alphabet set, stamped in saffron archival ink.

Thanks for sticking with me (literally, it's so hot!) I really didn't think I'd get there with this letter!

15 comments:

Julie Lee said...

Well done, Helen! I'm melting here in Kent!!! My brain has sizzled away, I think! How did you manage to do such a great page under these conditions? I love the yarn addition - beach/sea who cares, it looks great! Thanks for helping with the Dragon problem too! Julie Ann xx

Virginia said...

Gorgeous hun loving the summery feel of the pages !

Julia Dunnit said...

Good grief, Caroline's...! perfect Y page Mrs...i didnt see beach until you mentioned it!!

Inkypinkycraft said...

This looks fab! A great make hugs trace x

craftytrog said...

Fab page Helen, I love the texture of the yarn 'sand'!
Haven't ventured far from my craft studio today, until about 5 ish, to read in the garden for a bit. Lovely!
Have a lovely weekend,
Alison x

craftimamma said...

Wow Helen! Brilliant pages and in this heat too. Using the yarn is a great idea and so is your interpretation of the letter.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

JansArtyJunk said...

Super pages Helen...Love the use of yarn :)

carolfromkiwiland said...

Great page. When you said you were going to combine yarn and yacht my mind went off on some strange tangent and your version is so much more realistic than mine of a knitted yacht unraveling! (I have no idea how you would have achieved that anyway). I'm very glad one of us stayed focused.lol.

Words and Pictures said...

Great pages, and great Y-work!!
Alison x

Lin said...

Oh Helen this did make me laugh but it came out brilliant!! loving the yarn!! yeh like you'll ever have time to knit!! Love the flying ducks as well...nice page lol!!

sam21ski said...

Love your way of thinking 'borrowing' a page from another dictionary - lol, great pages no matter where they are from!!!

Sam xxx

Scrapmate said...

I would love to dip into those cool waters right now. A great idea to add yarn to your yacht.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous page!

Lesley said...

Great pages, and love the yarn beach! xx

Anonymous said...

VERY clever to use the Yellow Yarn as waves! beautiful page too
Thanks for playing at the Craft Barn
Izzy