Sunday 14 July 2013

A Grand Day Out

Most of you have seen my stash haul from the Artstamps Newbury show last weekend and when I tweeted a photo of a (large!) pile of credit card receipts, someone said it would make a good base for a journal page... which is what I've done.

I also used my entrance ticket, and part of the London Underground map with my starting points marked (the less said about the return journey the better - it's here if you missed it)

I used a glue stick to glue the receipts and other pieces to the journal, then gesso'd over the page. Time to decorate the page with some of my new stash.

Using the leaf swirl stencil and Bamboo pigment ink I added some leaves..

I used Beach Hut Fresco paint  through the butterfly stencil, and then some of the Majestix flowers using some of the other pigment inks I bought...

I heat set that, and added the 'sparkles' stamp (Hobby Art) in black archival ink round the border of the page.

it was looking a bit busy, so I decided to knock it back a bit with some watered down Snowflake Fresco paint.


 of course the pigment inks started to smudge, so I had to just paint round them!!


The large butterfly isn't actually from Newbury, but one I bought from the Happy Daze closing sale (it's by Jo Capper Sandon for Stampotique) and came the week of Newbury, so figure it counts as Newbury stash - well, it's new anyway!
I stamped the butterfly on white card and coloured it in watercolour pencils before cutting it out and sticking it to the journal.


Using an alphabet set, I stamped out the title and added it to the other page.

15 comments:

sam21ski said...

Perfect reminder and I love that butterfly stamp!!!

Sam xxx

Darcy Marshall said...

great idea to use receipts, they make good backgrounds. Love the giant butterfly.

Gabrielle said...

Lovely page and a terrific way to commemorate the day! I WANT that butterfly! Mwah!

massofhair said...

Hi Helen

What a fab idea! Great colours and i agree with others commentators that your butterfly stamp is beautiful!

Lin said...

Great page Helen, clever way of showing a great day out (apart from the journey home of course)!!

Virginia said...

Oh that's fabulous Helen!

Julia Dunnit said...

It IS fabulous and far closer to the sort of journaling that I think of..sort of arty smash!!

Carmen said...

Just a lovely idea to use the receipts like that! The way Julia describes it is perfect.

On a side note - I can't believe another shop is going :(

Anonymous said...

Terrific page, I love the colours & the large butterfly looks perfect.

snazzyoriginal said...

Love this page, what a great idea to use the receipts & tickets as a base xx

craftytrog said...

Fantastic page Helen! A lovely reminder of your day! x

Pat said...

What a great use for receipts. Beautiful butterfly.

Words and Pictures said...

This is so beautiful, Helen - what an inspired idea to create such an artwork out of the ephemera of your day out!
Alison x

Unknown said...

this is lovely, adore the colours you have used

happy crafting
Jay x

Jenny Marples said...

The perfect way to remember I'd say. Love how you've put this together. Hugs, Jenny x