Friday 9 March 2018

France Papillon FB challenge - week 10 - Broken

Although I've still been playing along with France's FB challenge, I haven't got round to blogging one of my spreads for a while.
However, this week, the theme was Broken; with no other prompts or hints... to be interpreted anyway we fancied.  

Just because it was new, I started with painting the page in Fresco paint shade Sargasso.
I didn't take any step by step photos of each day's layer on my camera, so we'll go straight to the finished page:
and then I'll talk you through  what I did.
Day 2, layer 2 was the brick wall - using fibre paste (mine is by Golden) - used bits of the stencil so the wall looks broken... 

 next I added some stamping - a stamp from a new set for Paperartsy by Emma Godfrey, inspired by her love of Portugal.
It's a kind of crazy paving effect and I stamped it without an acrylic block (broken stamping!)

 I added some hearts and coloured them red.


My main focal point was a stencilled heart - I took a piece of Tim Holtz tissue wrap and a Stencil Girl heart stencil, and Deco Art crackle paste.

As the paste dried overnight, it caused the tissue to crinkle and the paste cracked - never mind crackle!
 I tore the heart in two - do you see where I'm going- broken hearted!

as I tore the tissue, little bits of crackle fell off, and I decided to stick them in the middle of the page

I stamped a border at the top of the page and the word broken on a piece of card (Tim Holtz foam alphabet stamps), and stuck as shown


close up of the cracked crackle paste

I've had to seal it with clear gesso as the pieces were still falling off and I realised I wouldn't be able to close my book (heaven knows what will happen when I do something on the next page!)


however, I really like this page and am very happy how it came out - especially as after layer 2 I had no idea what was happening next! 

5 comments:

craftimamma said...

Some brilliant ideas pertaining to the theme Helen. I especially love the crackled, cracked broken heart and hope the gesso works to keep the paste where it should be. Excellent interpretation of the theme.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really like your broken heart, but am glad it is only the one on paper. It's a beautiful spread and I really enjoy seeing those prompts you get each week.

craftytrog said...

Great page Helen! Love the broken effects.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Helen! This really is a brilliant interpretation of 'Broken' The texture on the broken heart looks amazing!
Yes! I had a reverse side texture problem the other week!! Have great week! Chrisx

SusanLotus said...

This post gave me and idea for my journal.
I feel broken... But Art is healing. :)

Have a nice day!