Tuesday 16 April 2013

Craft Barn Alpha Challenge - W (and circles)

The latest Craft Barn Alpha Challenge has us turning to the W page of our dictionaries... but we also have to use circles in our background... Hmmm.

My first thought was 'wheels' with the children's song 'the wheels on the bus go round and round' but someone else has done that, so I went back to the drawing board...

In the end I decided on "world" as I have a Paper Inspiration stamp of a world map.

I forgot to take many photos along the way this time!

I painted the double spread page with paint - I used Lake Kaisercolor and also some Sky Fresco over the top, before blending a bit more Lake over that...

 I stamped the world map once on each page, in Cobalt archival ink

Now for the circles... I went for some circles stencilled using Fresco paint, (Squid Ink, what a lush colour!) and "bumped" with Snowflake.

I took "the journey awakens the soul" (Tim Holtz) and stamped in black archival.


I masked my dictionary definition and sprayed some blue patina perfect pearls spray over the whole page to blend in the stencilling a little, and also gives a nice shimmer in real life.
Finally I wrote "we may be worlds apart but" over the spread, as I wanted something else on the page. I think it "goes" with the stamped sentiment...




20 comments:

sam21ski said...

Now Helen, I know for sure that this page is 100 times better than what the photos show.

You see everyone, Helen brought her fabulous journal to Ally Pally at the weekend, and oh my gosh, it's out of this world and the blog photos do not do it anywhere near justice - they are fantastic.

Sam xxx

Anonymous said...

Terrific page, love the bumped circles. And yes, I agree with Sam, your journal is great.

Inkypinkycraft said...

This page looks yummy and I agree squid ink does lookmlike a indeed, must have colour! Lovethe bumping and the page looks great hugs trace x

Scrapmate said...

Great DPS I like the stencilled circles. It was nice to meet you on Saturday at Ally Pally (with Alison).

Annie said...

Great words and a beautiful page indeed! Love the depth all your elements create.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fabulous pages, mine are still on my to-do-list.

BJ said...

love, love, love it. The bumped circles give so much depth, I really ought to try this. Love the world stamp too. Super pages. BJ

Sandy said...

World is a great choice and I better chose something before all the words are gone - beautifully done!
Sandy

Hettie said...

Great page there Helen and after what happened last night, the world seems so fragile!
Hugs
xx

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from The Craft Barn - Great page spread Helen and far more interesting than my Wheels :0) Mo

Karen said...

Super pages Helen and a lovely lot of circles!

Karen from The Craft Barn x

Anonymous said...

great page with tons of circles !!
Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn
Izzy

Elaine said...

Great pages - your background looks lovely with all the circles! WHat a great word to choose!!

Lori said...

Great job Helen! Love the "bumping" with white! It looks fantastic and gives so much more dimension!

Carmen said...

I'm sat here going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" after reading sam21ski's comment! I would so have loved to snoop through your journal.

Grr.

I do love this page though - those bumped circles look so 3D, almost like you have punched holes and we are peeking through to the pages below.

lena-dailyscrap said...

Lovely spread! Beautiful colour and a great idea!

Maggie said...

Great world page yummy colours and love the bumped circles must try this way!

MaggieH

Sylvia said...

Fantastic page, love the words and those circles are just great.

Sylv xx

Laura said...

Just hopping round all the W entries...
Love the pearly finish
:)
Laura

Maisie Moonshine said...

Love it! Mmx