Saturday 12 January 2013

The Craft Barn - Alpha Challenge

The Craft Barn launched a new challenge for 2013 last weekend -


- The Alpha challenge.. Every other Sunday (starting last week on 6th January) they will give you a letter of the alphabet and you decide on a word starting with that letter, and alter the page in your dictionary with that word on it.  Check here for all the important details!!

The first letter is 'V'.  I scoured charity shops for a suitable dictionary - should have got the first one I saw because when I went back they'd ALL gone... so I am using my Dictionary/Thesauras (half of it is a proper normal dictionary, and the back half is the thesauras which gives you synonyms for the word you looked up)

I then had to decide on a word - a word that I could illustrate!!  I went for VEHICLE because I have some stamps of cars (thanks Wendy Vecchi!!) and this is the result.




So, apart from 'journey' (Tim Holtz) stamps are by Wendy Vecchi. I used sky Paperartsy Fresco paint on the page, and blue archival ink, and black soot distress ink.

Took a couple of stickers and an alphabet stencil from my stash supplies to emphasise which letter we're starting with - and I hope YOU come with me on my alpha challenge too... thanks to the Craft Barn - I can see some fun ahead!

Sorry I had such trouble with the camera, it is so gloomy here in Surrey today!

21 comments:

CraftygasheadZo said...

Great work lovely! Sounds fun, am sure you'll be sourcing stamps etc to suit every letter now! Take care ZO xx

brenda said...

Sounds like an interesting challenge concept Helen, I will check it out

A great idea using the dictionary pages, something else for me to check out.

Hoping to go to Stamperama, perhaps we will meet up this time round.

B x

Anonymous said...

This is a really fun challenge. Thinking of joining in, but then forgot to look for a dictionary in the charity shops whilst in town this morning. Perhaps next week?! Ali x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great to meet you here :) A fabulous challenge. Your first page looks great.

sam21ski said...

Always the case, get it when you see it is my motto!!!

Nevertheless, great pages and cool word.

Sam xxx

Minxy said...

Super page Helen, and great word choice too

Von said...

this is going to be a great challenge :) good choice of word :)
Von ☺

Laura said...

Love it!!
And ugh! tell me about the gloom... bring on the spring!

Scrapmate said...

A good start to the challenge.I love all the different words everyone has picked.

ionabunny said...

What a fun page.

Virginia said...

Oh what a fabulous challenge, loving you interpretation!

Sylvia said...

Great pages, stamps and your words, looking forward to the next letter!

lena-dailyscrap said...

Lovely pages. You sure have some great stamps!

Dawn said...

Love the page Helen, what a lovely soft background colour, it really sets off your fab stamps.
Hugs x

JansArtyJunk said...

Fabby pages Helen...loving the background colouring and stamps that you have used for your V word :)..looking forward to seeing your next alpha challenge now! :) x

Elaine said...

Great first page and great choice of vehicle. CAn't wait for next week now to see the next challenge!

Anonymous said...

Well, looks like you already have the vehicle to embark on this new journey with us ;)
Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn
Izzy

Gio said...

Eheh lovely page!! We're in the same (alpha) ride!

Thank you for joining the challenge at Craftbarn :-)

Sara said...

Hi found yours on the craft barn site, love the words around joining your journey, see you soon hopefully Saraxx

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry, and I'm joining you on this amazing journey as well!!!

Neil said...

Hi there.
Wow you've had fun! Glad to see you playing along with the challenge!