Thursday 24 January 2013

Steampunk Birds

Yesterday, for her next Paperartsy piece, Linda wowed us with a Steampunk canvas and urged us to have a go..... well I have had a go but am not too happy with the results, I may just paint over the whole thing in a minute and start again... but first I am going to show you anyway!

I used similar colours to Linda but had different stamps and stencils in my supplies.  I have used Mermaid, Snowflake, Nougat, Claret, Chocolate Pudding and Baltic Blue - just look at the mess on the craft mat!
 
I applied the texture paste (I only have Ferro, the lightest I have is Sahara, then covered with Snowflake paint) The stencil is the border from one of my Dylusion stencils. I then coloured it with claret, taking care to mainly hit the high spots.

Steampunk Peter and Paul (HP1107) were stamped on the Paperartsy Crackly paper and glued to the canvas, blending it into the canvas with more paint, and then I coloured some of the clock parts in the birds with Pewter fresco paint, and a mix of honey dew and mermaid (too opaque, so I wiped as much off as I could) Their crowns were painted with Old Gold.
I don't have the metallic glaze, so mixed satin glaze with old gold to highlight the textured area.

If you haven't seen Linda's, do go and see it, because that is beautiful!  Still, it's all about trying new ideas, so I had a go.....!! Wonder what tomorrow's challenge will bring!

11 comments:

sam21ski said...

I love those bird images Helen

Good luck in the draw

Sam xxx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I have just realised I have never used these stamps yet, thank you for inspiring me to get them out. Love the texture on this piece , don't paint over it, one day you may add something to it at a later date that makes you happy. Tracy x

Virginia said...

Oh it looks fab, I'll loving the subtle colours for a steampunk piece - fabulous stuff!

Carmen said...

I agree with Virginia, you don't often see such a colour palette with steam punk. Don't paint over it, look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. It's quite lovely.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Haven't found time to play yet!! Love your background! Hugs trace. X

Gillian .... said...

This looks great helen, lots of great texture. This is one of my fav PA sets. Thanks for joining in the PaperArtsy fun! x

flutterbycrafter said...

Love those birds, xx

Trish said...

It looks great, very different, but so original! Don't paint over it, it's lovely.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Gorgeous canvas, great color scheme.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great, I like the subtle colours.

Kezzy said...

I think it's amazing. Kezzy xxx