Sunday 10 July 2016

Paperartsy Topic 13: Paper Piecing

The last (couple) challenge completely passed me by, but the latest Paperartsy challenge is Paper Piecing and I have been blown away by several of the posts so far; Lin's fabric journal cover; JoFY's building block; Lesley's Owlandish; to name but a few.  

I decided to work in my A4 journal, on a background that I did start for the fabric challenge but never finished in time. (it was my birthday, my brother dropped in, what can I say?!)

 it had started out brownish, but I had grabbed a couple of pinky-yellow-orangey Prima paper sheets so brought the colours more in line - I used Frescos in Cooper,Coral, Pumpkin Soup.
 cut one of the papers into squares and the other into a mix of strips and squares dictated by the patterns on the paper
 before gluing them to the journal.  I painted over the more Frescos, adding some Satin Glaze and also adding some Concrete to mute it down a little
 I added some stencils (as per Lin's cover) and some stamping on another, plainer sheet of paper from the same Prima pad on which I stamped some of Kim's "flowers"

as there was no way I could have cut the stems, I stamped them direct onto the page and then laid the painted pieces on top
 I used the little scraps from round the flower shapes to fill some gaps, not adding any more paint, and then the last little piece to add the birds which P painted in Beach Hut
a few finishing bits of stamping, and it's done
love those little birds!

Entering the Paperartsy challenge here 

8 comments:

sam21ski said...

Corrrr blimey, and there was me thinking you'd given up crafting for summer but obviously you've still kept up with your buying - lol xx

Great page and stamping xx

snazzyoriginal said...

Really works x

Claire said...

Lovely page Helen - those little birds are so cute and I like how yours stand out from the pages so well Xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had no idea that was what paper piecing was, but I simply adore this completed project. It's awesome!

craftimamma said...

This is great Helen. Love all the elements you've used to create the page. Colours look great & lovely piecing of the papers.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

craftimamma said...

This is great Helen. Love all the elements you've used to create the page. Colours look great & lovely piecing of the papers.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

craftytrog said...

Fab page! Love those little birds too!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant page! Love how you used those colours! Chrisx