Thursday 16 February 2017

a small gift for RAK week

I didn't know RAK (random act of kindness) week even existed, till a friend mentioned it.  But I am in a small private chat group on FB with my friends and we decided to take part, amongst ourselves.

Names were drawn and we each had to make a piece of art for one person.  Until then, we weren't to say who was making for whom...
My gift has been received so I am sharing it here with a few pictures in progress

 I started with a square shallow canvas (the Works) and covered it in pieces of paper from a Prima pad  (Epiphany)
the idea for this sprang from a you-tube video by the lovely Maremi Small Art (Marta Lapkowska)
This is the link (hopefully) to her you-tube channel which is full of fun..  Of course I can't find the link to the right video.....but you'll have fun looking

I added stencilled layers of texture paste through a couple of stencils

 then I sprayed with Colour Bloom sprays (including the infamous Cobalt that fell all over my rug a few months ago)....

I always forget how sticky these dry, so I tried to seal it with some clear gesso... lots of smooshing of the blue colours... but I quite liked it so carried on..




time to add some stamping (Lin Brown for Paperartsy from ELB33) in blue archival ink

 adding layers of texture - an mdf heart got painted and coated with DecoArt  crackle paste
and some paper flowers got the spray treatment, plus a few dabs of paint on the petal edges..
I left some smaller flowers white
 some metal embellishments
 close up of the flowers
 some metal leaf embellishments too
and the final piece.  This was loads of fun to do!!

(edit.. no prizes for guessing Sam wasn't my swap partner, it's covered in flowers!)

(2nd edit.. just realised I made a big boo-boo.  the video I saw on you tube was one of Vicky Papaioannou's    )   sorry to both her and Marta for getting confused!  they are both super talented you won't be sorry if you check out their channels!)

12 comments:

Gabrielle said...

It's beautiful Helen. Lucky recipient!

BJ said...

Oh Helen it is gorgeous, wish I'd been your swap partner! BJ

Miriam said...

It's gorgeous Helen.... lucky recipient!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Stunning, Helen. Someone is going to be very lucky and happy.

I was in a group who thought RAK sounded like a diseased animal, so we called our group ART for Acts of Random Thoughtfulness.

Deborah Wainwright said...

This is gorgeous Helen, a wonderful gift! 😊Hugs Debxx

Julie Lee said...

This is so beautiful, Helen. What a lovely gift to receive. xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my Helen! What a lovely gift for your friend! Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

I love Marta's work and videos - great to see her background technique in action, and I love where you've taken things after that. Beautiful blues, and those gorgeous LB grasses - a really tactile page too. Definitely a RAK to be able to part with this for somebody else's benefit!
Alison x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I've heard about RAK but didn't realise there was a week for it. This is a lovely project, someone's going to be very happy. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

craftytrog said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

SewPaperPaint said...

These layers are out of this world! Exquisite gift. Hugs, Autumn

Jackie PN said...

What a gorgeous page! so soft and serene and a bit on the organic side, which I love!
Jackie xx