Friday 5 February 2016

Bubbles and Circles

it's been a while since I played properly in my journal ... but this is the "story" of the page you may have seen on Wednesday in the WOYWW post...

I started with a Clarity alphabet stencil that has never been used.. I added circles - the little ones are a Stickles lid, the big stencilled (crafters workshop)

Can't remember what colours I used .. Frescos.. possibly Marlin for the circles
 Gesso'd over to knock it back..

added a touch of pale pink (no idea why, wanted a bit of contrast)  washed over that again to knock it further back, then re-stencilled the bigger circles
 more stencils, the Prima circles (12x12 stencil
 Think I definitely used Marlin for the first layer, then a Reeves Titanium White acrylic paint over the top for the 'bump'.. this is the part you saw on Wednesday, that lots of you liked so much (so do I!)  - the titanium white is so bright, over the blue it almost looks iridescent, which is what makes it appear so dimensional I think (along with the bump)
 added some stamped circles (Emma Godfrey for Paperartsy) - they're gorgeous scribbly circles... randomly over the page.
but I  joined them up with the short lines (same stamp set) also  in black archival, making sure the starting and ending points are the edges of the journal.

Using a long handled paintbrush I doodled green round the circles (It's a new Fresco, can't tell you what it's called yet!) and added some Beach Hut too, to tone into the overall blue shades of the page.

added some white sharpie dots in the circles,
then the words which are a new Lin Brown set for Paperartsy (can you tell I've been splurging again?)  cut into individual pieces.
got a bit of shadow, sorry!


Finally I added some drippage with some turquoise Bombay Ink spritzing with water to drip it down the page.

Thanks for looking - I had great fun with this page... now, to ink up some more new rubber!!





15 comments:

Miriam said...

Gorgeous page Helen....it's worked really well....and the pink works!

Miriam said...

Gorgeous page Helen....it's worked really well....and the pink works!

Hettie said...

this is lovely Helen. I really must give my journal an airing! Not played for ages.
Have a great weekend.
xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This looks great, Helen, love the green scribbly circles!

Lucy x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The BUMP technique. I've actually heard of it and seen how it's done, too. So that is what made me think those circles were so dimensional. I am in awe of this page with the stamped circles and the lines. This is a gRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat journal entry.

brenda said...

Always good to have an inky play Helene, think I need that stencil.

Hope you have a good weekend.

B x

Brenda Brown said...

Lots of fabulous layered circles here Helen, a great page xxx

Deborah Wainwright said...

Love this Helen, nice to see you playing. Your bumping if fantastic, and pops right off the page. Hugs Debs xx

Virginia said...

Fabulous work Helen, I love the colour scheme!

Unknown said...

Really love these pages Helen. Love how you connected the big circles....very clever!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

sam21ski said...

Love the bumping, looks great xx

Kirsten said...

Love all the circles. It's a gorgeous page.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This definitely turned into a fabulous page Helen! Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely to see the layers of these fabulous bubbles building up - really dynamic to have those linking tracks between the large ones.
Alison xx

craftytrog said...

Love this spread Helen! Great colours and layers!