Monday 11 February 2013

Crunchy Wax substitutes...

Helen is challenging us with Paperartsy's Crunchy (waxed kraft paper) and has come up with so many fabulous ways to use it.... there is just one problem - I only have Tim's Kraft Glassine which is similar, but from what I've seen, works slightly differently.... still, I gave it a go... and I've used other Paperartsy products so hope I'll be allowed to enter!!

I started by painting a piece of the glassine with Mermaid Fresco leaving a torn border.  I dripped a small blob of South Pacific at the top of the Mermaid paint, and dragged the side of my paintbrush down through the SP to spread it lightly.  I wanted it to stay streaky.



I die cut a tag from some black cardstock, and painted it with the same two colours, then dabbing it with a paper towel to remove some of the paint before drying it.

I took the leafy edge of one of Dyan's Dylusion stencils and my white Portfolio oil pastel, to make a border on the tag.  Heated it to melt and blend the pastel.

I stamped the bubbles (SM15 mini) stamp with archival black, on both the tag and the piece of glassine, by rolling the stamp so I only got part of the image.



I took another piece of glassine and another of Helen's techniques - scrunched it up, then scribbled Portfolio pastels on it, heating to soften the pastel.  Added some more of the white pastel on the high points of the paper.

Fixed the pieces to the tag with my Tim's tiny attacher, added some copper wire for a bit of contrast/texture, and the central stamped image (from HP1009) using Cobalt archival ink, on Paperartsy smoothy paper.

14 comments:

sam21ski said...

Great choice of techniques for your tag Helen, and lovely colour combo. Really like that bubbles mini stamp plate, looks very effective.

I'm sure you'll be fine in the random draw as it just states you have to use 'some' of the products listed ie the paints and the stamps, which you have done, along with the pastels. After all, we can't be expected to have everything can we - lol - although it would be nice to!!!

Sam xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow, very cool tag!

Sue said...

Fabulous Helen, I love these colours with the glassine x

PaperArtsy said...

Looks ace and of course it's fine to use glassine! I adored the effect u got painting on the black tag underneath it all. The streaks were a great effect.

Alison Scott said...

Great tag.
A lot of techniques uses but well explained.
Thank you for sharing.

Inkypinkycraft said...

a really great tag, love the crumpled textures! hugs trace x

flutterbycrafter said...

Love the co,ours, my favourite. Not use the paper, must try it, great tag xx

Virginia said...

Fabulous hun, love it and I've not used that paper either!

Words and Pictures said...

Very cool tag, Helen - love the colours (still on my turquoise kick myself when not in neutral gear), and the background is gorgeous... The layers of textured wax paper look just great!
Alison x

Alison said...

Wow! It looks fantastic Helen! Great textures! x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous gorgeous colours here. Love the bubbles too. Lovely tag Helen. Tracy x x

scrappymo! said...

Forgot to say I am #59

Trish said...

Fantastic - that really looks great!

Gillian .... said...

Loving the blue/black combo, this tag looks FAB Helen. x